Out of the games I interacted with, I would like to use behaviors from the following games:
bigBouncers.pde, pac1.pde and flowOrbits.pde
- Focus of game: (top view) Help the thief escape from the bouncers.
- The behavior used in this game was an animated sprite.
- The thief in this game was the animated sprite. Whenever moving the thief with the key controls it appeared as though it was walking due to the animated sprite.
- I will use an animated sprite in my game to do the same thing bigBouncers does. I want my sloth to eat the plants. (For instance, it will appear with its mouth open whenever colliding with a plant.)
- Focus of game: Pacman with fireballs and an apple
- The behavior used in this game was sound affects
- There were sound affects for whenever the Pacman ate the apple
- I will use sound affects in my game to make sounds whenever the sloth eats the correct plants and not the incorrect plants. Whenever the sloth eats an incorrect plant there will be a sound as well.
- Focus of game: Get the star out of the circle
- The behaviors used in this game were cloaking and artificial intelligence
- One of the flowers in this game was fading in and out in the game and there was another flower that chased a flower.
- I will use cloaking in my game for the plants that follow the sloth to make the game appear harder.
This game takes place in a tropical tree, where there are sloths who are hungry. The sloths in this game eat plants. The plants with spots kill the sloth. The user in the game controls the sloth and has to prevent the sloth from eating plants with spots.
The behaviors in my game will be:
- Beginning and ending game screen
- Color changes
- Animated Sprite
- Artificial intelligence
The most important behaviors in my game is the rules, animated sprite and beginning and ending game screen.
It will be most difficult to create an animated sprite unless I use a gif of a sloth that moves.
I will code the behaviors in the following order:
- Animated Sprite
- Artificial intelligence
- Beginning and Ending Screen
- Color Changes
The behaviors for my game will be coded on these days.
Check out Aziza’s deliver blog post here!
I am extremely proud of this game that Aziza and I worked on. We took our time and both had the chance to input both of our ideas in this game. The programming was kind of hard but at the same time, it was easy enough for the both of us.
My partner Aziza and I had worked on the code together equally. We would suggest, plan out, and then put our thoughts and ideas into actions. Most of the time in class when we were working on the project, we exchanged ideas and often changed them because of the sake of time. I am grateful that I was able to have a partner who is determined and willing spend days trying to understand something. It was honestly a great experience to work with someone who had a clear idea and how to go about it.
What was most challenging for us was trying to code a star into processing by using the star() function on their website. (click here).
The star function was very complicated because we didn’t understand half of the things that were in the function. We tried to figure it out honestly but we resulted in starting our game all over and using our buttonFly programs as a outline for final collision program. We also decided to just use an image of a star because it was something we both knew how to do and it only took a day for it to work. Whereas we were still trying to figure out the star function for almost a week.
For the future of this game, we would love to have sound effects, a portal leading to the winning screen of the game, an actual start and ending game screen, and adding a health bar for the star to make it a more enjoyable game.
For the design post for collision.pde go to Aziza’s blog
User feedback from 2 students in our video game programming class:
Since our last version of the program before was 7, we were working on fixing the cloaking for the second flower (pink flower) in our program. We used the feedback to change the speed up the rose (red flower) in our game.
P.S. We didn’t have enough time to finish off the game completely and add all of our other ideas such as a health bar, which was suggested, and also more restrictions and levels in the game.
In version 7, we added the following effects to our game. If the white flower collided with the star (flower 2) then the background color would change. During this version we had it set to red and kept it the same.
By also having the individual effects for the flowers we also included the orbiting affect for both flowers 1 and 2 so that it is more challenging for the star to escape the circle. We did this in version 7 by creating new variables.
In version 7 we had the speed of the third flower (red rose) at .5 which was slower than 1. We did this only for testing purposes but in version 7.5 we changed it to 1.
In version 7 we had a problem where our cloaking was not working for only the pink flower. We noticed our mistake easily when our teacher pointed it out to us.
We had the tint at the bottom of our draw. This meaning that it went through everything (our sprites) and tinted everything instead of just doing flower one (the pink one). We fixed this in version 7.5 by simply adding a noTint(); for everything else that is not flower 1.
Link to Aziza’s design blog post